Strange Properties of Snow

>> Wednesday, November 30, 2005

As you all know, it snowed Monday. Now, you will note that I have an intense hatred for being cold--which has decreased as of late...ever since my Mom showed me the coat I had forgotten about...ahh wonderful coat you are...I love my coat--this is only intensified if there happens to be snow on the ground, or the air. It gives me a greater desire than is completely holy to get out of said snow and cold and get into something warm.

Well, some of you that have been to my house may know...that I have a rather steep driveway. And by rather I mean it's probably at least a forty five degree angle. For a good 30 feet at least. The one good part about it being cold and snowy is that I can slide down my driveway. A very enjoyable thing. You see the snow melts as your-relatively-warm shoes touch it, causing a very small layer of water which creates an almost frictionless surface which you can use (The effect being called Hydroplaning), in combination with gravity and momentum to propel yourself down said driveway. Kicks, giggles, smiles and laughter ensues.

On Monday morning I had done just such a thing. Well, upon the completion of said trip down the driveway I jumped into my car as to avoid being in the cold air too long. And started driving. Now, in order to get out of said cold fast and get to the really important part of the day-going to history and seeing attractive history girl-I was driving at what could appropriately called an expedient pace.

unfortunately, my car saw my earlier fun with the driveway and decided it would like to do the very same thing.

And so it was, that careening around the bend between 8th N. and University in Orem my car put it's horrible plan into action. The hot tires made contact with the compressed snow of the busy street and made that delightful layer of water which allows one to glide, almost frictionless, across that very narrow road. And thus it was, that I became a horrible participant in my car's unruly actions, in an attempt to correct his misguided efforts I turned my wheels and applied the breaks, but to no avail he was having his hay-day and would have none of my correction.

That is until George stepped in and put an abrupt stop to the fun. George of course...is the wall on the southwest side of the road. He met Gusto's (my car) front bumper and ripped it to pieces, which caused a haphazard twist and plummet into the brush on the northeast side of that road, which thankfully enough was about the time that Gusto had run out of momentum. And I came to an abrupt stop.

Getting out and surveying the damage that George and Gusto's fight had caused I realized the Gusto had most certainly come off the worse in the bargain. My bumper is gone, or at least...bent at a rather grotesque angle which strangely pointed to the sky above, the ground beneath and forward all at once. And so bending it back into some semblance of natural form, I drove home shaking my foot pulsing on the pedal and promptly set up my computer and wasted the day away playing Sims 2. Reality just needed to be gone for a bit.

-Asmond

4 comments:

Panini Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 2:56:00 PM GMT-7  

Oh no! That's horrible. Sorry man.
On one redeeming quality of snow, rolling in it....with someone.

Anonymous Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 4:50:00 PM GMT-7  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 4:51:00 PM GMT-7  

So that's what happened. Terribly sucks...but at least you're okay. This reminds me of hydroplaning in TN last year. That was not fun.

Krystal Thursday, December 1, 2005 at 1:21:00 PM GMT-7  

*gasps!* see, this is why you should just call me, and not tm me telling me you had a bad day!! I'm sorry, that's bad news. . .

About This Blog

tracker

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP